First, understand that every car seat is different. It’s made for children at different stages in life and has an owner’s manual that you need to follow. Next, understand that your child should never ride in a vehicle without an age appropriate car seat or booster seat. It’s just not worth it. If you hold your baby in your arms, even if you’re both in the seat belt it’s just too dangerous. You crush or dismember or decapitate your baby.
* Purchase The Right Car Seat – There are some car seats that claim to work from birth on up and some probably do. But, be sure to check out their safety ratings first. Saving a few dollars for an all in one might not be the right choice. A really good way to ensure that you buy the right one for your vehicle is to call your car insurance company. Some insurance companies even offer discounts if you buy the one they recommend.
* Buy an Age Appropriate Car Seat – There are seats that are really great for infants and some that are better for older children. Construct your decision with respect to what your infant measures, their age, and what your insurance agency and maybe pediatrician suggests. But, remember to give them the right information such as a type of car you have and so forth.
* Install The Car Seat Correctly – There are usually directions that come with your car seat but it can take an expert to help you install it right the first time. You can. It’s very important for you to ensure proper installation.
* Check the Seat Every Time – Some seats have parts that come out such as carriers, with a base that stays installed. But even if they do it’s important to always check to ensure everything is still installed correctly to avoid any preventable tragic accidents.
* It Only Takes Once – One time for you to not have on your own seat belt, one time to for you to not put your child in their car seat for the worst to occur. It’s just not worth it to get someplace faster.
* Don’t Cave to Pressure – Even these days, you may find yourself in a situation where you feel pressured to just take one small trip to the store not belted in right. It could be at grandmas, a family reunion, or a taxi. It’s not worth it, don’t do it.
About five children are lost each day due to car accidents. Many of these deaths can be prevented with proper installation of safety seats. Both children and parents should be belted in properly. Sometimes it can seem like it takes an eternity to get out of the house, get in the car, and then out again, and back in again when you run errands, but you’ll be glad that you did because nothing is more important than your family’s safety.